Wine and Cava Tasting & Human Towers Tradition Day TourProduct ID: 59706
From US$92.61 per personBook now
- Enjoy a wine and cava tasting at a family owned winery in the Penedès wine region
- Experience a live Human Tower Festival, a UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage tradition
- Choose to take part in a human tower display and form part of the tower
With a history of winemaking dating back to Roman times, the Penedès region is home to several prestigious vineyards. Visit the cellars of a family owned winery as a member of the family explains how the wine and cava are produced, from pressing the grapes to fermentation in the cellars.
Afterwards you’ll be invited to a wine and cava tasting session, with an opportunity to savor the exquisite notes of red and white wines and cava.
Next on your 7-hour tour you’ll have the opportunity to see castellers, or human tower builders, carrying out a local tradition that has existed for over 200 years and is still the liveliest popular expression of Catalan culture.
If you’re visiting on the weekend you’ll experience a local festival and see the highest towers being built. On weekdays you can choose to take part in an authentic training, with the best human tower builders group in the world.
Either way, you’ll meet over 200 Catalan castellers of all ages taking part. Typically the older veterans comprise the pinya (solid tower base) while the brave and light enxaneta (5 year-old child) crowns the top.
Your Catalan guide will tell you about the importance of strength, teamwork, and spirit of improvement in this unique practice, which has been awarded UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity status for the moral values and unique expression of Catalan culture.
If you choose to participate, your practice session includes the use of a traditional castell outfit and the help of an instructor so you can form part of the human tower.
Throughout the tour you’ll travel in a comfortable air-conditioned minivan and receive individual attention from your expert tour guide.
- Transportation by air-conditioned minivan
- Tour of a organic winery, cellar, and vineyards
- Wine/cava tasting (3 wines and cavas) accompanied by Catalan sausage, cheese, and olive oil tasting
- Watch the best human tower builders in the world
- Explanation of the human tower tradition by a Catalonian guide
- Souvenir picture of your human tower
- Hotel drop off (weekdays)
- Hotel pick-ip
The meeting point is at Plaça Ossa Menor (in the Glories shopping center), easily accessed from the entrance on Diagonal Avenue. You will meet next to McDonalds. (Open in Google Maps)
• Please bring comfortable clothing if you would like to participate in the human towers activity
Product ID: 59706