Discover Montserrat - ride a cogwheel train to the top of the mountain, visit the monastery and taste homemade liquors and sweet pastries. Visit a winery in a 10th-century castle. Sample fine wines and food - tapas or three-course lunch.
What to Expect
Your tour departs from central Barcelona: from there, you head for the village of Monistrol de Montserrat. From Monistrol you will take the Cremallera de Montserrat, a cogwheel train with great views of the countryside and the mountain. Once at the monastery, you will taste some local products as a midday snack: coca de Montserrat, a traditional sweet snack; and a sample of homemade Montserrat liquors. Your guides will explain the history, legends and importance of this site in the development of Catalonia. After walking through the monastery, and visiting a couple of viewpoints, you return to the bus.
It is now time for food and wine! Only a short drive away is the Oller del Mas cellar, located in a 10th-century castle. At this point the group will divide, depending on your food choice: you may opt for a three-course meal at a local restaurant (lunch add-on), or a tapas brunch during the wine tasting. Both options will allow an extended visit to the cellar, located inside the castle. The visit will allow you to discover how wine was made 600 years ago, and how they still make it today.
The wine tasting will consist of three premium château wines. If you have chosen the basic option, you will enjoy your brunch during the wine tasting; for those that have already had lunch, the tasting will be accompanied by a cheese platter. Just before returning to Barcelona, you will be able to take a stroll through the vineyards, enjoying the beautiful landscape which surrounds Oller del Mas.
- Transportation in air-conditioned minibus
- Professional, local, English-speaking guide
- Cogwheel train ticket
- Visit through Montserrat National Park and Sanctuary
- Sweet traditional midday snack at Montserrat and liquor sample
- Oller del Mas, a boutique winery in a medieval castle
- Tapas brunch (if lunch add-on is not selected)
- Three-course meal and cheese platter (if lunch add-on is selected)
- Three premium wine tastings
What's Not Included
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
- Any food or drinks not specified in the inclusions section
- Tips and gratuities
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
• The meeting point is Plaza Catalunya, 21 (in front of the Hard Rock Café).
You will find a bright pink umbrella
• The tour starts at 10:15; please be there ten minutes prior to start of the tour
• Please wear comfortable shoes and suitable clothes for the weather