Discover Montserrat and visit the mountain's monastery. Head down into the underground world of Salnitre’s Cave for a guided tour.
What to Expect
Enjoy a full-day excursion from Barcelona that takes you to Montserrat, and includes a guided tour of Salnitre’s Cave.
The tour begins with a visit to the Monastery of St. Maria of Montserrat. Founded in 1025, it is one of the most important pilgrimage sites in Spain. Then, at an elevation of more than 700 meters, you’ll take in stunning views of Catalonia and the Pyrenees.
In the basilica you’ll admire La Moreneta, the Black Madonna that is the patron saint of Catalonia. At certain times one can listen to the basilica’s choir, which dates back to the 13th century and is one the oldest children choirs in Europe.
Enjoy some free time in the museum or visit the Holy Cave where, according to tradition, the Black Madonna was discovered.
You’ll then head to Collbató, where you’ll descend into the magic mountain and tour the 400 meters of galleries in Salnitre’s Cave. Expert guides will describe the features, including stalagmites and stalactites, that resulted from geological processes. See the habitat of the first Neolithic settlers, who lived here thousands of years ago.
- Luxury van transportation
- Expert guide (English, Spanish, and Catalan)
- Visit to the Holy Cave
- Admission to Salnitre’s Cave
- Pick-up and drop off at hotel
What's Not Included
- Meals and drinks
- Museum admission
- Personal insurance
- Any other service not specifically mentioned as included
Know Before You Go
Please note the following:
• Although the tour is not particularly challenging, comfortable shoes are recommended.
• The temperature inside the cave is around 14 Celsius with a relative humidity of 97 percent.
• The guide will take group photos as a complimentary gift. Taking photos inside the cave is prohibited.
• Cancelations made within 48 hours of departure are charged in full. For cancelations made between 3 and 7 days prior to departure, a 50 percent fee applies. For cancelations made more than 8 days prior to tour departure, a 3.5 percent administrative fee will be charged.
• The tour does not include personal insurance, so you will need to have your own insurance policy covering all the activities on the tour.