Discover the charms of Girona and learn about the city’s rich history and culture. Take a ride on a cogwheel train up Montserrat Mountain to enjoy one of the most stunning landscapes in the world. Visit the Royal Basilica of Montserrat as well.
What to Expect
Begin your 11-hour excursion from Barcelona with a comfortable bus ride with your guide on board. Your destination is Girona, a medieval city with one of the best preserved Jewish Quarters in Europe.
Experience the history of Girona in the small streets of the old city center, where you’ll enjoy a guided walking tour, visiting the Cathedral and strolling along the well-preserved medieval streets that lead to the famous pastel-colored houses at the edge of the river. You’ll also have some free time to enjoy the city on your own.
The second part of the tour takes you to the mountain of Montserrat which rises majestically to 4,051 feet (1,236 meters). You have the opportunity to take in breathtaking views of the Montserrat Mountain, one of nature’s unique creations.
Take a ride up Montserrat on the cogwheel train, which drops you off at the Monastery. During the 15-minute ride you’ll have spectacular views of the mountain from the panoramic windows of the train.
Visit the Royal Basilica of Montserrat that houses the 12th-century romanesque carving of the Verge Moreneta (the Black Madonna).
You’ll have some free time to take in the audiovisual exhibition about the history and creation of Montserrat and to taste typical liqueurs of Montserrat, made by local monks. Both of these activities are included in the tour price.
- Transportation by air-conditioned motor coach
- Bilingual guide
- Guided walking tour in Girona
- Taste of 4 typical liqueurs
- Admission to the Espai Audiovisual Montserrat audiovisual exhibition in Montserrat
- Cogwheel train journey
What's Not Included
- Admission to Girona Cathedral
- Food and drinks (unless specified)
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
Know Before You Go
• Some walking is involved during this tour, so please come prepared. It is recommended that you wear comfortable clothing and shoes
• You have approximately 35 minutes of free time for lunch between the 2 parts of the excursion. The cost of lunch is not included in the tour price
• Proper dress is required to enter the Basilica at Montserrat. Tank tops, strapless shirts, short shorts, and sandals are not permitted
• Montserrat has a mountainous climate, and depending on the season you may need clothing that protects you from the rain and/or cold