Banff: Mount Norquay 2.5 or 4-Hour Guided Via Ferrata Climb
- Get a taste for via ferrata climbing on an activity that requires no previous experience
- Reach new heights and experience the thrill usually reserved for experienced mountain climbers
- Cross a 30-meter suspension bridge and climb buttresses on strategically placed steel ladder holds
- Soak in panoramic mountain views from the Mt. Norquay summit ridge when you conquer the 4-hour Ridgewalker Route
- Stay safe while being harnessed to a steel cable and climbing with a professional guide
Upon arrival to Mount Norquay, located just 10 minutes from Banff, check in and meet your guide. Get equipped with a harness, lanyards, and helmet, then ride the sightseeing chairlift to where your adventure begins. After an equipment check and training is complete, a short 5-minute walk takes you to your first via ferrata buttress to climb.
The 2.5-hour Explorer Route is a great choice for those who are slightly limited on time or looking for an introduction to via ferrata. Spend some time with your guide and get introduced to the equipment before heading up a few pitches and crossing the suspension bridge. You will reach 2,235 meters (7,332 feet) above sea level. The tour lasts 2-2.5 hours, covers 1 kilometer (3,280 feet), and involves an elevation gain of 145 meters (475 feet).
Select the 4-hour Ridgewalker Route to get a greater feel for heights and experience the via ferrata in full. Get comfortable with the equipment on a practice wall, then continue on the Norquay cliffs, climbing the memorial, sunrise and vista buttresses — and, of course, traversing the suspension bridge.
The route heads up to the Ridgewalker Summit, 2,300 meters (7,545 feet) above sea level. At the top, enjoy incredible views and snap some photos before descending back to the starting point. The tour lasts 3.5-4 hours, covers 1.4 kilometers (4,593 feet), and involves an elevation gain of 260 meters (853 feet).
- Free shuttle bus transportation from Downtown Banff
- Expert guide
- Complimentary hiking boot and rainwear rental available
- All safety equipment including harness, helmet, and lanyards
- Sightseeing chairlift to reach the via ferrata tour starting point
- Food and drinks
- Children under 12 years
- People with mobility impairments
- People over 309 lbs (140 kg)
Prepare for the activity
Meet at the North American Lodge at Mt. Norquay Ski Resort, located at the end of Mt. Norquay Scenic Drive. When at the top, follow signs to Via Ferrata Parking. You must arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your scheduled tour time to check in and sign a liability waiver. A free shuttle bus is available from Downtown Banff. No reservations are required, seating is first come, first served. For an up-to-date shuttle schedule, see the website indicated on your voucher.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Hiking shoes
- Rain gear
• The minimum weight limit is 40 kilograms (88 pounds) and the maximum weight limit is 140 kilograms (308 pounds)
• No previous experience is needed
• There will be 1 guide to every 8 participants
• Snacks and drinks available at the Cliffhouse Bistro for purchase after your tour
• Suitable hiking footwear must be worn and approved by staff
• Complimentary hiking boots are available, however, available sizing cannot be guaranteed
• Please arrive no less than 30 minutes prior to your tour departure time
• A liability waiver must be signed upon check-in prior to departure