West Cork is truly a world apart, seemingly remote from the constant hub of modern life yet discreetly offering quiet time to breathe in the freshest sea- salt air.
What to Expect
Arrive in Bantry and collect “Walk Information Pack” from your first house accommodation. Your first night is spent 5km from Bantry at the start of the Sheep’s Head Way in order to you allow you get the best from the first days walking. Overnight near Bantry.
Walk from the start of the Sheep’s Head Way to Glanlough. Overnight in the village of Kilcrohane which lies under the shadow of ‘Seefin’, the Peninsula’s highest point. Kilcrohane has an all year round population of approximately 300 persons but this number more than doubles during the busy summer season.
Walk from Glanlough along the Northern shores of the Peninsula to Cahergal. Overnight again in Kilcrohane which takes its name from the Church of St. Crohan founded in the 8th century.
You will be transferred back to Cahergal from where you walk out along to the Lighthouse (look out for the Dolphin and Whale viewpoint), continuing back the Sheep’s Head route on the southern side of the Peninsula to Kilcrohane. Overnight in Kilcrohane.
Walk from nearby Ahakista to Durrus along the Sheep’s Head route. Overnight at Durrus which is a very pleasant village located at the head of Dunmanus Bay. Ahakista is the site for a Memorial to those who lost their lives off this coast in the Air India air crash in 1985.
Walk from Durrus back to Bantry for your overnight.
From Bantry you can return by bus to Cork city and by bus from there to the airport. Alternatively, you can make your way from Bantry to Killarney by bus, and from Killarney a bus or train to Cork, Limerick, Shannon or Dublin.
- 6 night’s Bed and Breakfast. Full Irish Breakfast. Private bathrooms
- 5 days walking. Varied and interesting each day.
- Move your luggage.
- Give you full walking details and maps of the area.
- Full walking descriptions of each walking day.
- 24 hrs Emergency/Information contact number. If required.
- Airport transfers arranged/booked if required.
- Full pre-departure information pack to allow you to fully plan for your holiday and so get the most from this Irish walking experience.
- Extra days/nights booking with Travel/Tourism advice service.