On this walk you see some major sites in the city’s lesser-seen historic side streets. Enjoy a different perspective of Athens.
What to Expect
Wealthy Europeans of the 18th and early 19th centuries made a cultural pilgrimage to France and Italy in search of art, architecture, culture and the roots of Western civilization. Greece, still under Ottoman rule, was the destination of the more adventurous and daring. Follow the itinerary of these adventurers to unveil the little known Oriental history of Athens.
This is a meandering walk that besides getting you to some major sites it will lead you though the city’s lesser-seen historic side streets offering a different perspective of Athens. Tour takes in splendid ruins of classical antiquity, Byzantine churches, stately Ottoman mansions, mosques and synagogues and an atmospheric Turkish bath house. This walk will also lead you through the city’s Jewish history and heritage.
- Local docent of high academic standing
- Notes of the itinerary
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
Metro station "Acropolis" exit Areopagitou
Know Before You Go
• Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
• This tour provides a general understanding of the city and does not enter any archaeological sites
• A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
• This is a small group of maximum 12 participants