Explore 2 rural icons of Holland on a 5-hour tour of Volendam and Zaanse Schans, with round-trip transfers from Amsterdam. Visit a working windmill with one of the millers. Then, soak up the picturesque atmosphere of the Volendam fishermen’s village.
What to Expect
Depart Amsterdam for a small group, half-day tour of Volendam and Zaanse Schans, 2 icons of the Dutch countryside on the outskirts of the city center.
Transfer to the open-air museum of Zaanse Schans, famous for its historic warehouses and working windmills. Take a tour through one of the windmills as a miller explains the story and workings of Holland’s icon of industrial architecture.
Continue to the vibrant village of Volendam, once a thriving center of trade and fishing. Experience the atmosphere of Volendam’s town center at the Dijk. Visit the Volendam Museum to learn about the town’s clothing, music and folk traditions. Sample some authentic Dutch cheeses at a cheese factory.
Then, explore the Dijk on you own. Find a fish restaurant to taste the typical cuisines and snacks of Holland (own expense), such as <em>poffertjes</em) (small pancakes).
Transfer back to Amsterdam, following a scenic route through the countryside before the drop off at Central Station, and the end of tour services.
- Multilingual guide
- Tour of a working windmill
- Entrance to Volendam Museum
- Cheese demonstration and tasting at Volendam Cheese Factory
Know Before You Go
• A pick-up at Museum Square can be arranged on request. A free pick-up can be arranged at 09:00 from the Diamond Museum, Paulus Potterstraat 8, Amsterdam
• This is a small group activity, with no more than 25 participants per tour