Amsterdam: Red Light District Tour in German
- Explore the famous Red Light District of Amsterdam in a small group with a witty, young German guide
- Learn what is happening in the many sex clubs and laugh at one of the bizarre sex shows and theaters
- Learn how the prostitutes earn their living and look behind the scenes of the Red Light District
Choose between two options: a small-group tour with maximum 4 people that goes right into the center of the Red Light District and visits a peepshow; or a tour that tells the story of the Red Light District, visits some of its highlights, and explores other famous hotspots in Chinatown and the harbor.
You can also choose to have a private guide on the small-group tour.
Small-Group Red Light District Tour and Peepshow
Enter the heart of the red light district with a maximum group of 4 people plus your guide. The 1.5-hour tour highlights all the positive as well as negative aspects of the Amsterdam Red Light District. From the National Monument on Dam Square go to Warmoestraat, one of the most famous gay streets in Amsterdam.
Pass the Condomerie, a condom store that specializes in all kinds of rubbers, then go further into the heart of the district to the Prostitution Information Center (PIC). Former prostitutes are dedicated to educational work at the information center and are trying to dispel prejudices about prostitution.
Directly opposite lies the Old Church (Oude Kerk), the oldest church in Amsterdam and probably the only church in the world which is surrounded by prostitution. The special situation of the Old Church helped enforce its great wealth, because sinners of the night felt obliged to wash their contaminated souls clean through a generous donation or "sin tax". Around the square the church is surrounded by a row of windows flooded by red lights revealing attractive, scantily-clad women.
Discover more about the process of negotiations between customers and prostitutes, about their income and expenses, prices, room rental and taxes, but also about the women's security. Past Amsterdam's first commercial coffeeshop, the city tour leads to a peepshow from the 70's. The visit to the peepshow is a small highlight of the tour. The peepshow was once the most popular establishment of the entire district, today it is a nostalgic gem in a street of absurd sex shows.
Red Light District Highlights, Harbor, and Chinatown Tour
Visit selected highlights of the Red Light District and beyond in a group of maximum 15 people. Discover the district’s rich history with your guide and get the full insight into the prostitution industry.
Learn details about how customers and sex workers negotiate, how much they earn, how room rental and taxes work, and the women’s security.
See the most popular spots, including De Dam, the Condomerie, and Warmoestraat. You will also be able to see the famous red-lit windows from a distance before exploring the vibrant LGBTQ+ scene on the nearby Zeedijk street in Chinatown.
Dive into the Red Light District’s origins and visit the harbor, the reason the red light district came about. Catch a photo opportunity in front of the “dancing houses,” one of the most-photographed spots in Amsterdam.
Pass by a typical coffee shop and continue to Nieuwmarkt, a lively square with lots of inviting bars. Get a glimpse into the street full of sex theaters.
Equip yourself with recommendations from your guide on how to keep exploring the Red Light District at your own pace. Get tips on visiting a 70s peepshow, which you can experience on your own after the tour.
- Red Light District tour
- German-speaking city guide
- 1.50 city tax (per passenger)
- Peepshow (2 EUR)
- Children under 16 years
- Children under 18 years
Prepare for the activity
At the foot of the national monument on the Dam Square (large white pillar, which is similar to an obelisk). Your tour guide will be wearing a red name tag around his neck and/or have a dark blue-grey umbrella.Open in Google Maps ⟶
• On Fridays and Saturdays a lot of tourists visit the Red Light District. If you would like a quieter tour please take the tour on another day
• The tour will take place in any weather. Don't forget an umbrella for rainy days
• Distance traveled is approximately 1.8 kilometers at a comfortable pace during the city tour
• It is forbidden to take photos of the prostitutes
• Participants of the public tour 16 years old and older must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Participants can go on the public tour unaccompanied from 18 years of age. Participants younger than 16 can only participate in a private tour. The private tour can be adjusted depending on their age
• For a €22 surcharge a historical city tour can be booked