See the main sights of Petra in a few hours on a full-day tour from Amman. Transfer by modern sedan or H1 van along the desert highway to Wadi Mousa. Visit the rock-carved Treasury and stunning Monastery. Walk between the hills to the Place of Sacrifice.
What to Expect
Following pick-up from your hotel in the morning, depart Amman and drive along the desert highway to Petra in Wadi Mousa. Petra has hundreds of sites; you could easily spend 3 days in Wadi Mousa and visit a different one each day. However, with the help of a local guide, it's possible to discover the main sites in just a few hours. A local guide will be at your disposal for 2 to 3 hours.
Upon arrival at Petra, pass the Siq. Continue to the stunning Treasury carved into the sandstone rock. Then go to the Theatre and beautiful rock-carved Monastery. This is so huge that even the doorway is several stories tall. On the way to (or from) the Monastery, you can visit the Place of Sacrifice, located between the hills. Marvel at the 1,050 stairs that lead up to the site.
Petra's name comes from the Latin word "petrae" ("rock") and the city lies in a great rift valley east of Jordan's Wadi Araba. It came into prominence in the late first BCE (BC) through the success of the spice trade. It was the principal city of ancient Nabataean and famous for its trade and hydraulic engineering systems.
The city was autonomous until the reign of Trajan, but flourished under Roman rule. It grew up around its colonnades and followed the flow of the Wadi Musa. The quarries were probably opened during this period and continuous building followed throughout the first and second centuries CE.
After you've seen the main sites of Petra and been to the Place of Sacrifice, return to the transfer vehicle and journey back to Amman.
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
- English-speaking driver
- Transportation by private, modern, air-conditioned vehicle
- Local site guide at Petra for 2-3 hours
What's Not Included
- Entrance fees to Petra
- Travel insurance
Know Before You Go
• The pick-up in Amman is at 08:00 for the 3-hour drive to Petra. The time of arrival for the start of your Petra tour is 11:00. Transfers back to Amman are at 17:00, with an estimated drop off at your hotel at 20:00
• Please note that during the winter season (November to the end of March), the trip starts at 07:00 due to the short daylight hours