Explore the homelands of the Aboriginal Arrernte people on a full-day tour from Alice Springs, and venture into Australia’s real outback. Travel along Larapinta Drive to learn about the lifestyle, history, and traditions of the indigenous people.
What to Expect
Expose yourself to authentic Australian culture on a full-day tour to Palm Valley, departing from Alice Springs. Drive along the ochre colored roads of the West MacDonnells along the way.
Follow the designated state route of Larapinta Drive, traveling into the Aboriginal homelands of the Arrernte people. Immerse yourself in true outback country as you head into the Finke Gorge National Park.
Upon arrival, a 4WD coach will drive you along the dry bed of the Finke River, traveling to the strange, semi-tropical oasis of Palm Valley in the Red Center. Go for a bushwalk through groves of livistona palm trees, and enjoy the remoteness of the landscape.
Next, stop off at the 19th-century Lutheran mission of Hermannsburg to learn more about the aboriginal history, art and culture of the region.
- Entrance fee to Hermannsburg
- Guided walks
- Morning tea
- Ploughman's lunch
Know Before You Go
• Please wear a hat, sunscreen, and sturdy walking shoes, and bring bottled water
• Please call the local supplier to reconfirm your tour 24 hours before departure
• A cancelation fee of 50% applies for tours canceled with 72 hours notice. A 100% cancelation fee applies to cancellations of 24 hours or less
• Itineraries and days of operation are subject to change or withdrawal without notice
• A fuel levy may apply when world oil prices exceed the allowance in the fare