Encounter New Zealand's native penguins in their natural environment on this 3-hour guided experience from Akaroa. Learn about the 30 plus years of conservation work that has saved the little penguins from extinction in the area.
About this activity
- Free cancellation
- Cancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund
- Reserve now & pay later
- Keep your travel plans flexible — book your spot and pay nothing today.
- Covid-19 precautions
- Special health and safety measures are in place. Check your activity voucher once you book for full details.
- Duration 3 hours
- Check availability to see starting times.
- Live tour guide
- English, French
- Small group
- Limited to 9 participants
Select participants and date
Behind the BNZ Bank on Rue Lavaud.Open in Google Maps ⟶
What to bring
- Hiking shoes
- Weather-appropriate clothing
- Flash photography
- Making noise
Know before you go
- The departure time changes due to the sunset. The local tour operator communicate with you the departure time near the date of your tour
- Photography welcomed, strictly no use of flash permitted
- The main focus of this activity is monitoring nesting sites offering the opportunity to see penguins up close and watching them socializing on the water
- Tours rely on natural viewing for this colony, no artificial lighting is used. Pending the weather and natural penguin behavior, there is usually a window of opportunity before it gets too dark to view penguins coming ashore. It cannot be guaranteed that the birds will come ashore before darkness
- Due to the sensitive wildlife habitat, only guided groups can visit the breeding colony to view the White-flippered Penguins