Experience some of Akaroa’s maritime wildlife on board the 1946 classic ocean sailing yacht SV Manutara! Feel the ocean breeze of the Pacific and encounter dolphins and penguins during a 2.5-hour sailing cruise around Akaroa harbor.
What to Expect
Enjoy Akaroa waters during an authentic harbour-sailing cruise in the 1946 classic ocean sailing yacht SV Manutara.
Glide along the ocean with the wind in your sails and encounter some of New Zealand’s most treasured wildlife. Catch sight of Hector dolphins, penguins, and sea birds in their natural environment without disrupting them.
Learn about Akaroa’s historic secrets and legends from our local and highly experienced Kiwi crew, while taking a turn at steering the yacht or relaxing in its "Royal Seats."
Experience this environmentally and wildlife-friendly cruise in one of the very last registered "A-Class" Keelers ever built. The SV Manutara was designed by Jock Muir from Tasmania, and built in New Zealand in 1946, from a single giant Kauri tree. Learn how the ropes work in the yacht that won the grueling Sydney-Hobart Yacht Race in 1947, 1948, 1949, and the race's line honours in 1951.
- Complete 2.5 hour cruise
- Free sunscreen
- Quality binoculars available for close-up wildlife viewing
- Commentary from our 100% Kiwi crew
What's Not Included
- Food and drinks
- Gratuity (optional)
Main Wharf, Akaroa NZ. Just walk past the Blue Buildings towards the end of the wharf. You'll see the classic yacht Manutara alongside, and I'll be there to greet you. Captain Ray.
What to Remember
• Bring your own camera
• Please bring a warm jacket in case it gets cold
• Find us on Akaroa's main wharf. Walk past the blue buildings, and board the classic yacht
• Freecall: 0800-724-528 to reserve your place
• Maximum 20 passengers
• This unique wildlife Eco-Cruise has been optimised to help us meet our own strict environment-friendly goals. Our seven environmental objectives are:
• Zero exhaust emissions
• Zero noise pollution
• Zero wildlife intrusion
• Zero fuel used
• Zero wake effect
• Zero effluent discharge
• Zero negative environmental impact