Secure a ticket for the ferry to Robben Island and visit the prison where Nelson Mandela was kept during Apartheid. Learn about the dramatic history of South Africa through the voice of one of the former prisoners.
About this activity
- Free cancellation
- Cancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
- COVID-19 precautions
- Special health and safety measures apply. Learn more
- Mobile ticketing
- Use your phone or print your voucher
- Duration: 5 hours
- Starting time 10:30 AM
- Instant confirmation
- Live tour guide
- Pickup included
- The pickup point will be: Camps Bay, Sea Point, Green Point, City Centre (CBD, Gardens, Tamboerskloof, Oranjezicht), Woodstock, Waterfront. If you are staying outside the pickup area, you will have to make arrangements with the local partner to get your ticket within the pickup area. If you are staying at the Waterfront, please be aware you will be charged for transportation anyways. Consider booking the ticket directly with the island.
- Wheelchair accessible
- Pre-book your ticket to Robben Island to secure your visit
- Enjoy the comfort of a hotel pick-up
- Learn about life during Apartheid through the voice of a former prisoner
- Visit the cell where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned
- Pick-up from hotel and accommodations in central Cape Town
- Ferry ticket to Robben Island
- Tour of the island and prison
- Hotel and accommodation drop off
- Food and lunch (optional)
- Gratuities (optional)
- All areas that customers touch are frequently cleaned
- Customers must keep distance in vehicles
- The number of visitors is limited to reduce crowds
- Customers are required to bring and wear masks
- Customers must fill out a travel information form
- Customers will get a mandatory temperature check
Select participants and date
Prepare for the activity
Know before you go
- The ferry to Robben Island is subject to weather and sometimes trips get cancelled. In case of cancellation, you will be able to reschedule directly at the Robben Island ticket counter (subject to availability) or apply for a refund to GetYourGuide.
- For rescheduled tickets you will have to make your own way to the waterfront.
- Note that the tour ends at the Robben Island ferry gateway. You will be asked to make your own way back to your hotel.
- The local operator might need to reach you on the phone shortly before the tour. When booking, please make sure to provide the number where you will be reachable while in Cape Town.
- Please make sure to bring your passport / IDs on the day of the tour. Copies are accepted as well.