Doge's Palace & St. Mark's Basilica with Terrace Access Tour
A GetYourGuide Original
The ultimate tour experience
- Unforgettable local guides
- Personalized experience
- Hidden highlights
- Priority access
- Full refund if you didn't enjoy the tour
Love where you're going, guaranteedWith a GetYourGuide Originals tour, you can enjoy complimentary rescheduling if you’re late or plans change, and a full refund if you’re not completely satisfied after taking your tour.
Unforgettable local guidesLed only by 5-star guides and local aficionados, you can expect intriguing insights, fun facts, and stories from the people who call your destination home.
Personalized experienceA maximum of 20 people on your tour, which means you'll enjoy a more interactive, personalized experience.
Top sights (and hidden ones, too)On an Originals tour, you'll discover lesser-known treasures that other visitors often miss, bringing you a deeper understanding of your destination.
Priority access — more time to exploreLong line? We'll show you how to skip it. Packed out sights? Follow us to the secret quiet spots. On Originals tours, you can explore in ways that others can't.
The Original experience
- Immerse yourself in the history of the Floating City with the help of your expert local guide
- Miss the hordes with priority entrance for the Doge’s Palace
- Choose from a private or shared group experience
- See Venice’s Lagoon from the usually off-limits terrace at St. Mark’s Basilica
- Hear anecdotes about how and why Venice was built on a lagoon in the 5th century and other fascinating facts
Due to health and safety regulations, this itinerary may change. See Know before you go for the latest updates.
Start by exploring St. Mark's Square with your guide before heading into the cathedral. From the first-floor terrace you’ll be able to admire views across the lagoon and see the famous bronze horses up close. Hear how they traveled all the way to Paris and back in Napoleon’s time.
Next, you’ll use the priority entrance to reach Doge's Palace, formerly the residence of the leader of the Republic of Venice. Enjoy visiting the Chamber of the Great Council and courtrooms among other things. Highlights include frescoes by Tintoretto and the Giants’ Staircase.
After this, cross the infamous Bridge of Sighs that links to the New Prisons. Learn how the bridge got its name and the purpose for its construction in the 17th century as you take in the amazing views of the canals.
At the end of your tour, feel free to stay and explore the Doge’s Palace with tips from your guide.
- Guided tour with expert guide
- Priority entrance to the Doge's Palace
- St. Mark's Basilica first floor and terrace access ticket
- Wheelchair users
Prepare for the activity
Check in at the Alilaguna ticket counter next to the San Marco Giardinetti ferry stop, near St. Mark's Square. Look for a GetYourGuide sticker on the counter's window. You will be asked to show your GetYourGuide voucher and be given an entry ticket to the Basilica, before being pointed towards your guide.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Luggage or large bags
• Shared group and private options do not always offer the same languages. Please check all languages of interest to find your preferred option type.
• You are welcome to explore the Doge's Palace at leisure after the guided tour
• As St. Mark’s Basilica is a holy place, people are asked to wear clothing that covers the shoulders and knees
• Backpacks or large bags are not allowed inside St. Mark's Basilica