2. Genoa: Pelagos Sanctuary Whale Watching Cruise
• The excursion lasts about 4 hours departing from Genova Porto Antico Calata Mandraccio . After 30 minutes of navigation to the open sea we reach a depth of 1000/1500m where there is a higher chance to sight. From that moment begins the research activity with our crew. A biologist guides every excursion with the possibility, if required, to have also a German/English-speaking guide who will tell the details of the habits of these incredible animals and will answer to all your curiosities.
• The chance to sight is the same the whole year long, but we choose to do our excursions from April to October because of the better weather conditions. The months leading up to the high season are usually the best ones thanks to a lower shipping traffic.
• The excursion takes place also with a minimum number of passengers.
• In April, May and October, we have excursion on Sundays ; from June to September on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays. The departure time from Genova porto antico is at 13.00.
It seems necessary to indicate that the research of cetaceans in the waters of the Sanctuary means to deal with a patient monitoring work and observation of the surface, remembering that we are looking for wild animals and there are neither times nor points established to meet them.
We must accept a few hours of navigation, which will be later richly rewarded by the emotion and spectacle that these creatures offer us.
The best days for sightings are those of calm seas and no wind, situation in which it is easier to see the animals when they surface to breathe.