Venice: Murano and Burano Half-Day Glass and Lace Tour
Explore the glass blowing traditions of Murano at an artisan's workshop
See women making lace on the tiny island of Burano, and get an explanation of the dying art in English
Wander the streets of Burano to see the brightly painted houses
Follow in the footsteps of Michelangelo and take home your own lace keepsake
Discover the lace-making and glass blowing traditions of Murano and Burano on a leisurely 5-hour tour of Venice. Head into the Venetian lagoon to watch glass and lace-making demonstrations, with options to buy items at a discount.
Your guide will keep you entertained on the short boat ride to the small island of Murano, famous for its glass making traditions. Historically, Murano glassblowers were the only Europeans that knew how to create a mirror, and their skills were so valued they were banned from leaving Venice on the threat of execution.
Watch a craftsman in action and listen to a description of the process in English. Learn how silica sand becomes glass, and how the glass is given color. Afterwards, there will be time to browse the huge collection of glass art, and wander the island on your own.
Back on the boat, cruise to the tiny island of Burano to see the brightly-painted houses huddled tightly together along streets and canals. Burano’s main claim to fame is its centuries-old lacemaking tradition. Stroll through the streets to a small building where women feverishly stitch lace, just as their mothers and grandmothers used to do.
Your guide will explain the process of this dying art. Then, you can follow in the footsteps of Michelangelo and pick out your own keepsake. Or, wander the winding streets, sampling delicious cookies at local bakeries.
Unlike other tours, this excursion intentionally omits Torcello to provide you with more time on Murano and Burano, and with less time on the boat or trekking inland.
• Glass making demonstration at a Murano factory, with commentary in English
• Lace making demonstration at a shop in Burano, with commentary in English
• Discount at the glass blowing and lace-making venues where the demonstrations are held (10% or more, depending on the item)
• Headsets where necessary
• Round-trip transportation by boat
What's Not Included:
• Hotel pick-up and drop off
Good to Know:
• Clients must arrive at the designated meeting point and present their tour voucher to the tour coordinator/guide. Late arrivals will not be able to catch up with the group and no refunds will be given for those who arrive after the departure time
Product ID: 2129321293
Speedy booking and reserved spots
No-hassle Best Price Guarantee
14 customer reviews
- 5 stars
- 4 stars
- 3 stars
- 2 stars
- 1 star
“Well worth a visit”