Catacombs of Paris: Small Group Guided Tour
From US$ 59 per person
- Discover the Paris Catacombs and explore a mysterious underground world
- Learn a 2,000 year history of the dead in Paris
- See the bones and skulls of over 6 million people
- Find out why the labyrinth became an underground cemetery in the 18th century
What to Expect
The Catacombs of Paris contain the bones of over 6 million people, and your guide will explain why this labyrinth of tunnels became an underground cemetery in the 18th century. Due to tight constraints on the number of visitors allowed inside each day, this is truly one of the hardest tickets to secure in town.
The name “Catacombs” was given to this ossuary in reference to the Catacombs of Rome, not far from the Appian Way. The Cemetery of the Innocents near Saint-Eustache, in the area of Les Halles, had been in use for nearly 10 centuries, but became a source of infection for the locals. Eventually the Council of State decided to prohibit its further use and to remove its contents. The Catacombs were the solution.
You will descend a narrow spiral stairwell to the darkness and silence below the city, broken by the gurgling of the hidden aqueduct. Then, walk through the cool and clammy corridors to see the bones and skulls of the long dead, pushed into caverns and embedded in the walls.
- Entrance ticket
- Guided tour
What's Not Included
What to Remember
• The Catacombs are located 130 steps below ground, and another 83 steps to exit
• Please note that the temperature inside the Catacombs is 14°C/57°F
• As the Catacombs are comprised of a route through underground tunnels and caverns, the tour is not advised to anyone suffering from cardiac, respiratory weakness, or nervous disease, young children, or anyone with tendencies towards claustrophobia
• As entry is reserved for one group at one specific time slot, please
be at the meeting point 15 minutes before the beginning of the tour
• No refund will be possible in the case of late arrival
Great! We didn't have to stand in line at all. The guide was interesting and easy to understand. He was personable and thoughtful of his guests. The tour was more like 1.5 hrs rather than the 2 hrs listed.
Brilliant overall organisers, guides informative and entertaining, transfer drivers brilliant, tickets and collection,meeting points no hassle and the best bit avoid cues and absolutely superb views and venues!
This was an outstanding tour!!
The tour was great.
Product ID: 39767