Catacombs of Paris: Small Group Guided Tour
From US$ 58 per person
Meeting pointCatacombs de Paris: 1 Avenue du Colonel Henri Rol-Tanguy, 75014 Paris Metro Stop: Denfert Rochereau, line 6 or 4 or RER B. Use exit 1.
- Discover the Paris Catacombs and explore a mysterious underground world
- Learn a 2,000 year history of the dead in Paris
- See the bones and skulls of over 6 million people
- Find out why the labyrinth became an underground cemetery in the 18th century
The Catacombs of Paris contain the bones of over 6 million people, and your guide will explain why this labyrinth of tunnels became an underground cemetery in the 18th century. Due to tight constraints on the number of visitors allowed inside each day, this is truly one of the hardest tickets to secure in town.
The name “Catacombs” was given to this ossuary in reference to the Catacombs of Rome, not far from the Appian Way. The Cemetery of the Innocents near Saint-Eustache, in the area of Les Halles, had been in use for nearly 10 centuries, but became a source of infection for the locals. Eventually the Council of State decided to prohibit its further use and to remove its contents. The Catacombs were the solution.
You will descend a narrow spiral stairwell to the darkness and silence below the city, broken by the gurgling of the hidden aqueduct. Then, walk through the cool and clammy corridors to see the bones and skulls of the long dead, pushed into caverns and embedded in the walls.
- Entrance ticket
- Guided tour
What's Not Included
Good to Know
• The Catacombs are located 130 steps below ground, and another 83 steps to exit
• Please note that the temperature inside the Catacombs is 14°C/57°F
• As the Catacombs are comprised of a route through underground tunnels and caverns, the tour is not advised to anyone suffering from cardiac, respiratory weakness, or nervous disease, young children, or anyone with tendencies towards claustrophobia
• As entry is reserved for one group at one specific time slot, please
be at the meeting point 15 minutes before the beginning of the tour
• No refund will be possible in the case of late arrival
The tour was great.
After waiting in the hot sun for over an hour past the meeting time and making several attempts to contact the tour company over the phone, a representative finally turned up to advise us that the tour would not be going ahead due to the Catacombs no longer taking group tours. We were advised that the tour company had been aware of this for the past two days. In spite of this, we had received a confirmation email for the tour less than 24 hours before turning up at the meeting point. We are still waiting for our refund almost two weeks after this VERY disappointing experience.
Our guide knew her stuff full of answers and very entertaining loved it
Product ID: 39767