Assisi Wine Tasting Picnic
From US$ 23 per person
- Sample the wines of Umbria under the shadow of Assisi
- Get panoramic views of the Basilica of Saint Francis
- Learn more about viticulture via convenient information boards in the vineyards
- Sit under a veranda in the middle of the vineyards to taste local produce of cheese and meats
- Try some authentic Umbria Torta al Testo and a dessert of Umbrian cookies
What to Expect
The Mencarelli family has been producing fine wines and extra virgin olive oil for decades, and on this 3-hour lunch tour you will walk through their deep green vineyards, and learn about the wonderful world of Umbrian wines.
All around will be blue sky, ripe grapes, dusky olive groves, and centuries-old oak trees. Armed with a complimentary map, stop at information boards to learn more about wine and viticulture.
Then, under the veranda of the vineyards, a picnic basket will be waiting just for you! Enjoy a glass of SAIO Assisi wine and sample typical Perugia bread, with extra virgin olive oil, pecorino cheese, cured meats from the Subasio Mountains, traditional Umbria Torta al Testo (a salty cheese bread), and Umbrian cookies. All wine glasses, place mats, plates and cutlery will be provided.
After lunch, you are free to carry on enjoying SAIO wines in the relaxation area, reading more about the history and traditions of Assisi.
- Map of the vineyards
- Picnic basket with 1 bottle of SAIO wine per 2-3 persons, water, typical Perugia bread and SAIO extra virgin olive oil, pecorino cheese, cold cuts from the Subasio Mountains, traditional Umbria Torta al Testo, Umbria cookies, wine glasses, placemats, plates and cutlery
- Relax area with lounge
- Relax kit with books and magazines
What's Not Included
- Additional wine tastings (always available in the wine tasting room)
What to Remember
• You can change the day of your tour if you call at least the day before
• SAIO is open all year long, but April to October is the best time to visit
• Opening hours: Monday-Saturday - 10.00-12.30 / 16.00-19.00 (May to October until 19.30); Sunday - 10.00-12.30
• For reservations out of opening hours please contact SAIO
Ok we expected a walking tour with a guide type of thing, which this was not. We got to try a number of amazing locally made Italian wines and our host tried in her best broken English to explain their backgrounds. We then were directed how to walk to our destination for our picnic lunch - which was cheese, salami and prosciutto with a sweet biscuit.
Friendly and welcoming staff, a beautiful and gentle walk amidst the groves. A georgeous view at the picnic spot that was accompanied by amazing food. They provided a vegan delight for me and it was incredible. Definitely recommend.
The wines were very good and the "picnic" exceeded expectations. The walk through the vineyard was a quiet break from typical touring. The only caution I would offer is that it is not walking distance from the town of Assisi! The busy roads don't have sidewalks, best to take a taxi. Highly recommended!
We thought this was a great buy. Everything in Europe is pricey but this was worth the money. The wine was so great we brought back four bottles with us. The picnic had a very generous supply of the items listed....plenty for a couple to enjoy. I was worried it woudn't be much and was pleasantly surprised. The view of Assisi where the picnic was set out was absolutely gorgeous. The best pictures for my whole trip were taken here. The sweet daughter of the owner, I'm sorry I forgot her name, was very fluent in English and provided an very informative and enjoyable tasting. My only complaint...might not be reasonable but I had to find some kind of con. The path you take on the self guided walk needs to be paved or at least have some gravel put down. Due to a recent rain...it was very muddy which was a huge distraction and annoyance because the type of mud present builds upon itself and covered both of our shoes. Very messy.
Agnes took the time to explain the unique features of their family operated vineyard. The picnic lunch matched my every fantasy of living 'la dolce vita' in the Italian countryside!