Go on a journey through the history of Puglia on a 1.5-hour guided tour of Castel del Monte in the hills of Adria, and discover a unique UNESCO World Heritage Site. Meet your guide at the castle entrance, 36 miles (60 kilometers) from Bari.
Once inside the castle grounds, explore the history of the mountain fortress, first recorded as the Castellum Del Monte in 1223, and built by the humanist Emperor Frederick II of Hohenstaufen. A unique piece of medieval military architecture, Frederick imbued the castle with symbolic significance, defined by the laws of math and astronomy.
Soaring 1,770 feet (540 meters) above sea level, in the heart of the Alta Murgia National Park, you will get panoramic views of the surrounding area, from the Gargano promontory up to the ancient province of Lucania.
Discover impressive structural elements that follow the repetition of the number 8, from the castle’s basic octagonal shape, to the 8 trapezoid rooms, 8 towers, and 44 steps of the spiral stairs. Admire the harmonious blend of Romanesque and Gothic influences, together with important contributions from Islamic art.
Adria: Castel Del Monte 1.5-Hour Guided Tour
From US$ 17.00 per person
Immerse yourself in the medieval atmosphere of Castel Del Monte on a 1.5-hour walking tour of the hills and fort near Andria, and learn more about the Murgia National Park and the history of Frederick of Swabia, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire.
- Explore the octagonal fortress of Castel del Monte in the mountains of Adria
- Learn about the humanist Emperor Frederick II
- Immerse yourself in a medieval atmosphere
- Get panoramic views of the olive trees and rocky peaks of the surrounding countryside
- See a harmonious blend of Islamic, Romanesque and Gothic influences
Spanish, English, Italian
Meeting pointMeet at the Taverna Sforza, Castel del Monte
- Multilingual guide
What's Not Included
- Entrance fees
Good to Know
- Cancellation policy: all excursions are non-refundable within 48 hours. Refunds will not be given for no-shows
- Tour is free for children under 4 years old
- The tour requires a minimum of 3 persons to run. In case no minimum is reached within 7 days before the date of the excursion, you will receive an email confirming cancellation and refund
Product ID: 37549