The online services, email responses, airport pickup, hotels, food, trail directions were absolutely fantastic. They exceeded what we expected. We live in Turkey and expected that the services would be a bit disorganized. We didn't find that at all. We hope to do another section of the trail with Get your Guide next year. Thank you.
Lycian Way Self-Guided 8-Day Walking Tour
From US$ 507.00 per person
- Explore traces of ancient civilisations, from Alexander the Great to the Crusaders, Greeks, Romans, Arab and Genoese on the Lycian Way
- Discover the real meaning of "Turkish Delight" on a delightful walking tour along Turkey's Turquoise Coast
- Uncover lost civilisations and meet friendly locals
- Hike along the glimmering coast and come across hidden beaches
- Admire endemic orchids and other flora and fauna
- Watch the sunrise over Sulu Ada from the lighthouse at Cape Gelidonia (Taşlık)
- See the Genoese Castle and sunken Roman city at Üçağız
- Walk over mountains, with breathtaking panoramic views
- Stay in the enchanting boat-building town of Üçagiz.
- Enjoy the independence of a self-guided tour with the convenience of baggage transfers
Meeting pointPick-up from Antalya Aiport for transfer to your pension in Antalya
During this tour you will loop from Antalya through the ancient city of Olympos, along the coast of Cape Gelidonia, down to the isthmus of Aperlai, and back to Antalya. Due to military restrictions, maps are rudimentary, but the route is conveniently waymarked throughout.
You can dictate your own schedule, walking between your accommodation while your main baggage is transferred to your next night’s accommodation, stopping for picnics en route. You can also add extra nights to rest between walking days, or enjoy a day relaxing on a quiet beach.
Day 1: Arrival - Antalya
Upon arrival at Antalya Airport, you will met by a tour representative for the transfer to your pension in Antalya’s Kaleici (Old Town).
Day 2: Ulupınar – Chimaera - Çıralı
In the morning you’ll be transferred to the village of Ulupinar for the start of your walk along the Lycian Way. Head towards the coast to the eternal flame of Chimaera, named after a mythical fire-breathing beast that is part lion, part goat and part snake. The extraordinary natural phenomenon consists of a series of more than 20 permanent fires that are caused by methane emissions emerging from the ground.
Spend some time at the long sandy beach of Çirali, one of the few protected beaches where loggerhead sea turtles lay their eggs. If you feel like walking some more, you can head towards Akdere Creek and visit the ruins of the ancient city of Olympos.
Route length - 5.1 miles (8.5 kilometers); 3 hours walking time; ascent 650 feet (200 meters) – descent 1,470 feet (450 meters); overnight pension accommodation in Çirali.
Day 3: Çıralı – Olympos - Adrasan
Today’s walk is all inland and more demanding. Ascend through a canyon to a high grazing area and small shepherd’s hut. Reaching a higher ridge rewards you with superb views across the peak of Mount Olympos.
Continue along the ridge line, beneath the flanks of Musa Dag (Moses Mountain), where a boat-shaped stone formation was discovered. Hike over meadows as the trail descends past scented pine trees and through a limestone gorge. Emerge at the spellbindingly beautiful Bay of Adrasan.
Route length - 10.5 miles (17.5 kilometers); 6-7 hours walking time; approximately 2,360 feet (720 meters) of ascent and descent; overnight pension accommodation in Adrasan.
Day 4: Adrasan - Cape Gelidonia- Adrasan
A truly wonderful day of coastal walking lies ahead as you walk to the upper lighthouse at Cape Gelidonia. A short vehicle transfer will take you to the start of the trail, which then twists and turns through pine woods and crags high above the coastline. The trail occasionally follows the cliff edge, affording dramatic views to the hidden coves below, as well as across the sea to a series of tooth-like uninhabited islands.
Contouring the hills of the remote Gelidonia peninsula, the trail climbs to a crest, and then descends to the isolated lighthouse. Pause to take in breathtaking views out to sea and along the coastline of the peninsula. Then head down through pine forest to reach the shoreline again. Follow the shore to the village of Karaoz, where a vehicle transfer will return you to your pension in Adrasan.
Route length - 9 miles (15 kilometers); 7 hours walking time; approximately 2,300 feet (700 meters) ascent and descent; overnight pension accommodation in Adrasan.
Day 5: Kapaklı - Üçağız
Transfer by private vehicle to the ancient city of Myra. In early Byzantine times Myra surpassed Xanthos to became the capital city of Lycia. Drive on to the village of Kapakli for the start of today’s walk. Admire the large necropolis in the village of Simena, then walk on to the small and enchanting boat-building village of Ucagiz.
Route length - 6.3 miles (10.5 kilometers); 4 hours walking time; 850 feet (260 meters) of ascent and descent; overnight pension accommodation in Üçagiz.
Day 6: Kılıçlı- Aperlae -Üçağız
This morning, a short transfer will take you to Kilinci, from where you can walk to the ancient Lycian city of Aperlai. Take your swimming gear for the delightful isthmus, where you can cool down on a hot day.
Aperlai dates back to the 5th century, and its hard-to-reach location makes it one of the less-visited sites of ancient Lycia. Enjoy the quiet, before returning along a mostly coastal trail to Ucagiz.
Route length - 7.8 miles (13 kilometers); 4 hours walking time; ascent 490 feet (150 meters) – descent 1,640 feet (500 meters); overnight pension accommodation in Üçagiz.
Day 7: Antalya
After breakfast, take the public bus back to Antalya and then transfer by taxi to your pension in the old part of the city. The bus departs Ucagiz at around 08:00 for the scenic 3-hour drive. Upon arrival, enjoy the rest of the day at leisure to shop for souvenirs or just rest your legs. Overnight pension accommodation in Antalya.
Day 8: Antalya - Departure
A private transfer will be provided from your pension to Antalya Airport, scheduled to get you to the airport for check-in for your departure flight.
- Airport and route transfers as per program
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary
- All accommodation
- Route notes
What's Not Included
- Tips and personal expenses
- Meals not indicated in the itinerary
- Public bus and taxi in day 7
Good to Know
- Please contact the Smooth Travel office to check the status of your chosen holiday BEFORE purchasing your international air ticket. You should not book your flight tickets or other travel arrangements until your holiday is confirmed. Be aware that most of the cheaper airline tickets for sale on the internet, or low cost carriers, are non-refundable in case of cancellation. Please check the rules when you make a booking, and check the limitations of any cancellation insurance policy you have. Smooth Travel cannot be held liable for losses incurred relating to any flight bookings or subsequent travel arrangements you have made
- Please make sure that your baggage is clearly marked inside and outside, in case labels get detached. Limit your main luggage to 1 piece per person and pack your clothes in plastic bags to ensure they remain dry. Your main baggage will be transported by vehicle and a normal suitcase can be used. During the walking days you’ll carry only your daypack.
We had a wonderful time. The walk was more challenging than expected and some errors and omissions in the track notes added difficulty. But overall it was a wonderful walk with beautiful scenery and amazing ruins at every turn. The hotels were all good and the meals plentiful, home style Turkish. All the hotel staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Smooth Travel allowed flexibility and we were able to change the itinerary to suit our needs. However, communication with clients needs improvement to avoid confusion.
Product ID: 22300